Monday, March 12, 2012

.The Blessed Man.

Today I got to accompany my mother to some of her meetings. My mom is a guardian for older people with disabilities, and loves what she does. My mom is such an amazing example of good will, charity, pure love, and it makes me want to be a better person everyday. 
If any of you know me very well, you know that I have a very large space in my heart for people with disabilities. They have played a big part in my life, having an Aunt with Down Syndrome, and becoming close to many of the 50 clients my mom has brought into our family. I was always the girl in school who stuck up for the “special kids”. It honestly kills me when I see someone making fun of someone with disabilities. I would always get in word fights with kids who chose to poke at these cute kids, and would find myself worked up.
In our house growing up, the word [Retarded] was always known as the ‘R’ Word. As I have grown up, I have grown use to hearing it used in everyday conversations. Sadly, I have started using it too. Not to describe an individual, but a “messed up” situation. I've realized how hurtful that word is, and i challenge us all to find another word to use instead. 





This man is a very old man, but nothing short of a trooper. As I walked into the facility with my mom, the man greeted her with a smile, and was so excited to see us. As we had the meeting with him, he kept interrupting whoever was speaking, and complimented on how beautiful each woman was. At one point, on of the employees expressed that he looked better since a recent illness. He looked at us and said, “Don’t I look much handsomer?!” I cracked a smile and he went on being so happy.
As we went to leave, my mom asked him if there was anything he wanted. Thinking of way I would reply, the man answered simply, “I want a red U of U sweatshirt, that’s all.” As the thought put a smile on his face, tears welt up in my eyes as I realized how blessed I was to know such a sweet spirit as his. 

We all need to realize how simple and beautiful life is, and remember that there are people who see the simplest blessings in life as something huge. I challenge you to look at the little blessings you have, and remember the man I met today, and maybe, just maybe, you’ll see the positives in your life too.
&hearts: Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment